Gokshura, often known as Tribulus Terrestris is a tiny leafy Ayurvedic herb that belongs to the Caltrop family. Because the fruits of this plant resemble cow hooves, its name is derived from two Sanskrit words: ‘Go’ meaning cow and ‘Aakshura’ meaning hoof.
Gokshura, also known as Goksuraka, Gokhuri, Gokshra, Devil’s thorn, Goat head, Small Caltrop, Gokharu, or Gokhri is a vital element used to cure urinary diseases, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), prostate gland problems, heart ailments and kidney problems. It also aids in the development of muscle growth, increased cognitive activity, and increased libido in both men and women.
The fruit bears sharp thorns over its surface that are hard enough to puncture a cycle tire, earning it the name Trikanta or Puncture vine. This herb’s active components, alkaloids and phytosterols combine to make it an effective diuretic and aphrodisiac. Apart from urinary issues, Gokshura can help with hair loss, neurological disorders, rheumatic pain, headaches, menstruation, obesity, stress, piles, bedwetting, and eye problems. Gokshura has active components, the most important of which are the alkaloids, norharman and Harman. It also contains terrestrosins A E, flavonoid glycosides, and furostanol, which are steroidal saponins.
Therapeutic Uses of Gokshura:
In India, gokshura is used to treat kidney and bladder disorders, as well as to boost sexual drive. It was used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat asthma, edema, cough, and renal problems, as well as to aid with hair loss, rheumatic pain, headache/stress, menstruation, weak nervous system, obesity, piles, and eye problems. This herb has been discovered to have hypotensive, anti-microbial, anti-cancer, aphrodisiac and diuretic qualities by researchers.
Gokshura is also known to have many medicinal properties. These include-
– Body building properties
– Aphrodisiac activity
– Diuretic activity
– Anti-hair fall properties
Benefits of Gokshura:
Gokshura is an extremely useful herb for many common ailments.
Benefits of Gokshura for Urinary Disorders:
– Urinary conditions such as urinary incontinence, painful urination, and burning sensation when urinating can all be treated with the Gokshura churna.
– When the drug is mixed with cow’s milk, it not only relieves pain and burning micturition, but it also encourages proper urination.
– It helps dysuria since it is a mild diuretic.
– Urinary infections are prevented by a variety of antimicrobial and antibacterial characteristics.
Benefits of Gokshura for Body building:
Consuming Gokshura at the recommended dosage provides the body with nutrients and minerals essential for muscle strength, making it a natural approach to build healthy muscles.
Benefits of Gokshura for Kidney Functions:
– The traditional Gokshura churna supports kidney health by assisting in the elimination of excess uric acid and managing the uric acid level in the kidneys, thereby preventing or curing gout.
– The anti-lithiasis properties of Gokshura churna serves to prevent the production of kidney stones, as well as breaking or reducing the size of those that have already developed.
– It thus prevents polycystic kidney disease, kidney stones, and cystitis.
– It aids in the management of diabetes and hence combats underlying symptoms such as frequent urination.
Benefits of Gokshura for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome:
– PCOS is a pretty frequent condition these days. Regular consumption of the Gokshura churna, which is an active diuretic, removes excess water from the cyst, reducing its size.
– It also aids in the maintenance of hormone levels in the blood, the enhancement of female reproductive organs, and the development of eggs into follicles.
Benefits of Gokshura for Sexual Health & Stamina:
– Gokshura churna is commonly used to improve men’s health. The churna has potent spermatogenic characteristics that can help with hypospermia (low sperm volume), oligospermia (low sperm count), teratospermia (abnormal sperm shape), asthenozoospermia (sperm motility), and spermatogenesis (i.e. sperm production).
– It boosts testosterone and luteinizing hormone synthesis because it’s a natural antioxidant.
– It’s also used to treat erectile dysfunction and early ejaculation.
Benefits of Gokshura for Libido:
– Gokshura churna aphrodisiac properties aid in the reduction of mental tension and anxiety while also stimulating testosterone hormones to increase libido.
– It promotes virility and stamina in men and improves male and female fertility.
Benefits of Gokshura for Digestion:
– Gokshura churna’s digestive qualities have been discovered to be particularly effective in improving digestion.
– It increases the absorption of important nutrients and improves digestion by stimulating the release of digestive juices.
– It also addresses symptoms of stomach pain, distension, ulcerative colitis, and irritable bowel syndrome, as well as preventing fluid retention.
Benefits of Gokshura for Joint Pain:
The analgesic and anti-inflammatory characteristics of Gokshura are effective in reducing pain and inflammation, and the churna can be used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Benefits of Gokshura for Brain Functioning:
– Gokshura churna is a traditional medicine for improving brain function.
– The powerful antioxidants in gokshura help people improve their memory, attention, concentration, tranquilly, and alertness.
– Regular use of the powder has been demonstrated to increase memory, reasoning, problem-solving, and other cognitive capacities, as well as being particularly effective in the treatment of psychotic diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease.
Benefits of Gokshura for Cardiac Functioning:
– Owing to powerful antioxidative properties, the Gokshura churna is particularly useful in treating a variety of heart conditions.
– It strengthens the cardiac muscles and keeps lipids and other debris out of the blood vessels, preventing atherosclerosis.
– The bioactive ingredients in gokshura lower the levels of non-esterified fatty acids (NEFA), lowering the risk of heart attacks, strokes, blood clots, and other cardiovascular diseases.
– It’s also important for keeping blood cholesterol levels in check.
Benefits of Gokshura for Skin Health:
– Gokshura is an excellent natural antioxidant and cleanser for healing oxidative free radical damage caused by the sun’s rays.
– As a result, when used on a daily basis, the Gokshura mixture can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, dark circles, and spots, among other symptoms of ageing.
– It also cures wounds, hives, itching, and skin infections while providing a smooth, radiant, regenerated complexion.
Benefits of Gokshura for Acne:
– Gokshura aids in the treatment of acne, which is very common among youngsters.
– It can be used to treat itching, skin irritations, skin eruptions, and eczema, among other dermatological issues.
Benefits of Gokshura for Ageing and Wrinkles:
– Regular consumption of Gokshura is thought to delay the onset of ageing.
– It also aids in the prevention of wrinkles, the reduction of body fat, and the prevention of muscular deterioration.
Benefits of Gokshura for Hair Loss:
The paste of the Gokshura seeds is supposed to control and prevent hair loss.
Benefits of Gokshura for Migraines and Headaches:
The herb is also thought to help with migraines and headaches.
Benefits of Gokshura for Piles and Fistula:
Fistula and piles are treated with Gokshura because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
Benefits of Gokshura for Eye:
Gokshura is used to treat eye disorders
Benefits of Gokshura as an Antioxidant:
Gokshura’s antioxidant qualities have been demonstrated to be beneficial in boosting immunity and to control of diabetes and diabetes-related problems.